Sunday, December 11, 2022

Sunday Afternoon Links

This and that for your Sunday reading.

- Max Fawcett writes that the willingness to accept avoidable illness in children is an inescapable sign of an overall sick society, while Benjamin Mazer discusses how we're losing the race to fight COVID-19 with scientific discovery by limiting our own knowledge about an ongoing pandemic. Rong-Gong Lin Il and Luke Money highlight some of the steps which can help limit the spread of airborne diseases - though it's well worth noting how much more effective a focus on ventilation and prevention at a systems level would be. Matthew Cantor notes that masking in particular should be an easy call for individuals, while Bill Comeau makes the case for a mask mandate for those who have managed to retain some interest in preserving public health. And Harry Taylor reports on the sellout of strep A testing kits in the UK as another example of how leaving social health to the market results in little but windfalls for a lucky few, and shortages of essentials for the population at large.

- Thomas Walkom discusses why we can't presume that a 1980-style fix for inflation will accomplish anything but to inflict needless harm on workers. And Magdalena Sepulveda calls out the perpetuation of legislated poverty as the ruling class has chosen to impose the burdens of a pandemic - and more - on the people least able to afford it rather than taxing those with more than they know what to do with. 

- Meanwhile, Canadaland offers a reminder that we should consider every food bank as an unacceptable policy failure. 

- Finally, Steven Mufson and Timothy Puko report on the U.S. House investigation showing how the oil industry has blocked climate action while being fully aware of the damage that would do to our planet. But Harry Cockburn reports on the IEA's recognition that avoidable energy crisis caused by reliance on fossil fuels is giving rise to an accelerated transition to renewables.

4 comments:

  1. Phillip Huggan4:19 p.m.

    Nanotechnology should be deflationary for some sectors and enable novel sectors. I'm looking at making UHV equipment out of sapphire. There are two dozen manufacturing and imaging stations I might not displace 1/2 with sapphire components. New laser UHV manufacturing lightweight stations should be there for colleges. I'm not sure if I can easily mass produce cooling. Some types of shielding can be made better and multiple space power sources should be enabled. I imagine precious metals and REE we send to Earth and Beryllium mining crucibles and table-top refining wares we send to ice moons. Eventually rockets can assemble ice moons. We are in the start of a deflationary singularity. Innovations like 3d tetris geometries of sapphire dies enables the means of production to make some things cheaper soon. An UHV turbo pump out of sapphire I dunno, some parts surely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:06 p.m.

    I suppose there is an inbuilt afterburner in our behaviour in a crisis, we don't want bad events to be tested by rising in an intractable crisis, but for a Covid level event we use it. I suggested strategic grain stockpiles circa 2006. Only Pakistan responded, wanting more info; during Covid the grain stored would've paid for the construction cost of elevators and 2% storage cost/yr. It seems like for some things we are okay with inflation. I suggested cheap ECMO stockpiles and some ventilators in 2010. Ventilators would've been better but still using lots of nurses. Details like that are why many plans are ignored.
    My UHV will be expensive to interface with existing metal based UHV; I'll send the piping right through the wafer. It leads to the manufacture of implements that have stronger bonds than metals. You'd want to sensor a space craft with neuroimaging in charge, and UHV tech leads there with long-lasting sensors. Space batteries charged near Venus are potentially a big product...it is like trying to project IT sectors in a portfolio. I envision tidal power in ice, but I'm not sure if there are major Earth utility products to be spunoff. But overall, I expect to be nearing 1% of GDP next decade's end, and perhaps closer to 2% with space in situ. If we have cures for cancer and dementia, it might still be an inflationary world. I'd hope finance makes stock options and warrants easy to buy cheap, as well as sapphire wafer shapes in the futures markets. Some lasers are okay to sell with UHV. Some are okay to sell only to a few universities or research parks. A risk like insect drones is why inflation is better. I think stockpiling sapphire and boemite is a good hedge and buying property near aluminum mines and processors. It suggests Quebec and SK bonds in my monopoly portfolio. The public might learn to hedge inflation better than bailedout finance industry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phillip Huggan7:28 p.m.

    To be honest, I don't know what I'm supposed to do to make the universe a better place. We are following orders for a human project to give 1/10 of people an antimatter utopia. It is too dangerous for lots of people without a merit based tyranny from 100000 yrs ago. So a solution was found by an AI, and all the junk that goes with it including wiping Earth out to make new sensored ice moon aggregated Earth without crazy people. Some like the Liberals are supposed to have known they were being used for something. Chretein didn't get me starting nano in Quebec because they alone had religious Provincial Crowns in the 1920's. It is hard to guess what is safe to change that doesn't threaten the HP: I assume inflation is inbuilt in the solution even though it is easy enough to assuage; I assume just in time manufacturing with just in time parts made is deflationary. Maybe something like AIDS is why we have housing inflation; anyone important isn't supposed to date or locate where mentally ill people are being thrown into. I'm fine on a personal level, but the HP is a lot harder when basic internet hasn't been cheap since 2006. I don't think I'm allowed to make strep tests en masse and I'm forced to witness mentally ill gvmt and religious private decision making. So, some things I'll be allowed to disclose. When I make a person in space culture starts out again and space becomes sane for a 3100 society. In the meantime there is a lot a meta seeming mistakes that lead to a utopia. We only got two nano experts and two space experts to avoid wars. But it is easier to study in Saudi Arabia than it is Canada. I might magically win the lottery in 15 years if you want to pin a nanofuture on those kinds of god-interventions...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phillip Huggan3:24 p.m.

    I'll mostly focus ono nano and things like a human model of breaking down iron nanoparticles linked by the Nobel Prize linkers. I can easily affect a local community how I like it with donations and lobbying and can settle where the Scots did if I want normal medieval conversations. I can leave infrastructures half finished or almost finished at 110LYs away and it is easier to welcome the first 3100ers if I know existing societal spaces I can better make optical nerf automaton shoppers and food court denisons or maybe you want parks guides or sports and activities arenas activated first. My mid 'oughties nano was mostly too small or CNT non-durable...existing UHVs are a bulky maze of pipes so I'll try and find an efficient sweet spot where the mouse or die workpiece is shuttled back and forth through the UHV hamster tubes. Policies that bring this nano closer to fruition I'll lobby for.

    ReplyDelete