Friday, September 23, 2005

Progressives for Anders

The big blog story today has been the Progressives for Harper movement, and I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't hold some appeal.

But allow me to dissent at least in part. Canukistan has already pointed out one former leader who I think we'd all rather see in charge than Stevie Franchise. And I'd think there are more than a few other potential candidates. Just think how much easier it would be for the NDP to take over as the main opposition party if the Cons' leader was someone who genuinely goes out of his way to be scary, rather than someone who merely gets outmaneuvered at every turn and fails to counter Liberal attacks.

What's more, I'm not sure it's too implausible to think that the Cons' base could conclude that Harper has moderated party policy too much, and accordingly go even harder-right with the party's next leader. So by throwing our support to Harper, we may only prevent the Cons from making an even bigger and better mistake.

Granted, Harper has managed to squander what should have been golden opportunities to take over 24 Sussex Drive, and for that we remain grateful. But while he's managed to make the Cons into an also-ran, I don't think we can say he's made them completely toxic yet. And I for one will reserve my support until I see a Con leader who can.

No comments:

Post a Comment